Frequently Asked Questions about Acupuncture
What happens during a treatment?
We begin with a health intake followed by a 45-60 minute customized treatment. Your treatment may include acupuncture, acupressure/bodywork, cupping, application of heat, therapeutic exercises, and other therapies. People generally feel extremely relaxed or fall asleep during a treatment. After, most feel rested, refreshed, and balanced.
Do the needles hurt?
Most first-time patients are surprised to find that they barely feel a thing when needles are inserted! You may feel the slightest pinch or a sensation of tingling, warmth, or pressure. Acupuncture needles are sterilized, individually packaged, single-use stainless steel- slightly thicker than a strand of hair.
What does acupuncture treat?
The most common thing people seek acupuncture for is pain relief and stress reduction. However, hundreds of clinical
studies on the benefits of acupuncture show that it successfully treats a wide range of conditions including:
- Chronic and Acute Pain- back, neck and joint pain, injuries, post-operative pain, sciatica, tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, arthritis
- Headaches, Migraines, Dizziness
- Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat Disorders- sinusitis, sore throat, cough, hay fever, earache, tinnitus, changes in eyesight, TMJ
- Respiratory Conditions- frequent cold/flu, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis
- Immune Disorders- allergies, candida, chronic fatigue, auto-immune disorders
- Digestive Disorders- heartburn, gas/bloating, diarrhea/constipation, IBS, food allergies, ulcers
- Gynecological Conditions- Fertility, PMS, irregular periods, fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, PCOS, frequent yeast/UTI, common complaints of pregnancy and menopause, sexual dysfunction
- Neurological Disorders- Post-stroke recovery, Bell’s Palsy, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Epilepsy, Shingles
- Depression, Stress, Anxiety, and Insomnia
- Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
- Diabetes, Dermatological Disorders
How does it work?
Acupuncture promotes the body's natural healing capabilities and enhances its function. Different theories exist as to how this happens. According to Chinese philosophy, everything in the Universe, including our bodies, consists of a vital energy called Qi ("chee"), which transforms between two opposing forces: yin and yang. This Qi flows along pathways, called meridians, bringing nourishment and energy throughout the body. When Qi flows freely and yin and yang are in balance, the body is healthy. A disruption in the flow of Qi, yin, or yang leads to pain and illness. Acupuncture works to balance yin and yang, remove blockages and restore the healthy flow of energy. In the Western view, research suggests that acupuncture likely works by stimulating the nervous system’s release of chemicals called neurotransmitters that relieve pain and inflammation, enhancing circulation and increasing the amount of oxygen available to tissues, regulating the immune system, and balancing hormones to improve various body functions and reduce the negative effects of stress.
When will I see an improvement?
Most people notice a positive shift in their mood, energy and overall well-being after the first treatment. Many experience improvement in symptoms right away. For others, it can take 4-6 sessions, as the healing benefits of acupuncture accumulate.
How often should I come for treatments?
The frequency of treatments will depend on your individual condition and unique response to treatment. For optimal and long-lasting results, most courses of acupuncture consist of 6-10 weekly visits, followed by occasional “tune-ups”. Some people decide to come in on an ongoing basis to maintain optimal health; others stop in at the change of each season to boost immunity, or at times of stress to support physical and emotional well-being. Together we will create the best plan for you.
Do you accept insurance?
Many insurance plans are accepted. Please contact me to provide insurance information and I will verify if your policy covers acupuncture.
Do you treat children?
Yes! Acupuncture is very effective for chronic pediatric conditions such as ear infections, allergies, asthma, and even emotional/behavioral issues. Children usually respond quickly to treatments, which are done with gentle needling on a few points.
I hope this answers everything you want to know about acupuncture!
For any other questions, ask me at [email protected], or call 646-389-6809